1 Prohibition of false trade descriptions.
(1) F1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
[ F2(2) Sections 2 to 4 shall have effect for the interpretation of expressions used in this Act ]
F1 S. 1(1) repealed (26.5.2008) by The Consumer Protection for Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (S.I. 2008/1277), reg. 30(1)(3), Sch. 2 para. 8(a), Sch. 4 Pt. 1 (with savings in reg. 28(2)(3))
F2 S. 1(2) substituted (26.5.2008) by The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (S.I. 2008/1277), reg. 30(1), Sch. 2 para. 9 (with savings in reg 28(2)(3))
2 Trade description.
(1) A trade description is an indication, direct or indirect, and by whatever means given, of any of the following matters with respect to any goods or parts of goods, that is to say—
(a) quantity, size or gauge;
(b) method of manufacture, production, processing or reconditioning;
(d) fitness for purpose, strength, performance, behaviour or accuracy;
(e) any physical characteristics not included in the preceding paragraphs;
(f) testing by any person and results thereof;
(g) approval by any person or conformity with a type approved by any person;
(h) place or date of manufacture, production, processing or reconditioning;
(i) person by whom manufactured, produced, processed or reconditioned;
(j) other history, including previous ownership or use.
(2) The matters specified in subsection (1) of this section shall be taken—
(a) in relation to any animal, to include sex, breed or cross, fertility and soundness;
(b) in relation to any semen, to include the identity and characteristics of the animal from which it was taken and measure of dilution.
(3) In this section “quantity” includes length, width, height, area, volume, capacity, weight and number.
(4) Notwithstanding anything in the preceding provisions of this section, the following shall be deemed not to be trade descriptions, that is to say, any description or mark applied in pursuance of—
F3(a) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
(b) section 2 of the M1Agricultural Produce (Grading and Marking) Act 1928 (as amended by the M2Agricultural Produce (Grading and Marking) Amendment Act 1931) or any corresponding enactment of the Parliament of Northern Ireland;
(c) the M3Plant Varieties and Seeds Act 1964;
(d) the M4Agriculture and Horticulture Act 1964 [ F4or any Community grading rules within the meaning of Part III of that Act];
(e) the M5Seeds Act (Northern Ireland) 1965;
(f) the M6Horticulture Act (Northern Ireland) 1966;