SEC. 2. DEFINITIONS.
In this Act:
(1) DIRECTOR.—The term"Director"means the Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Director of the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
(2) OFFICE.—The term"Office"means the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
(3) PATENT PUBLIC ADVISORY COMMITTEE.—The term "Patent Public Advisory Committee"means the Patent Public Advisory Committee established under section 5(a) of title 35, United States Code.
(4) TRADEMARK ACT OF 1946.—The term "Trademark Act of 1946"means the Act entitled "An Act to provide for the registration and protection of trademarks used in commerce, to carry out the provisions of certain international conventions,and for other purposes", approved July 5, 1946 (15 U.S.C. 1051 et seq.) (commonly referred to as the "Trademark Act of 1946" or the "Lanham Act").
(5) TRADEMARK PUBLIC ADVISORY COMMITTEE.—The term "Trademark Public Advisory Committee"means the Trademark Public Advisory Committee established under section 5(a) of title 35, United States Code.
SEC. 3. FIRST INVENTOR TO FILE.
(a) DEFINITIONS.—Section 100 of title 35, United States Code, is amended—
(1) in subsection (e), by striking "or inter partes reexamination under section 311"; and
(2) by adding at the end the following:
"(f) The term ‘inventor’ means the individual or, if a joint invention, the individuals collectively who invented or discovered the subject matter of the invention. "
"(g) The terms‘joint inventor’ and ‘coinventor’ mean any 1 of the individuals who invented or discovered the subject matter of a joint invention. "
"(h) The term ‘joint research agreement’ means a written contract, grant, or cooperative agreement entered into by 2 or more persons or entities for the performance of experimental, developmental, or research work in the field of the claimed invention. "