CHAPTER I GENERAL PROVISIONS
Article 1 (Purpose)
The purpose of this Act is to contribute to developing industries by protecting designs and promoting the use thereof and encouraging to create designs.
Article 2 (Definitions)
The terms used in this Act shall be defined as follows:
1. The term "design" means a shape, pattern, or color of an article [including parts of an article (excluding those defined under Article 42) and fonts; the same shall apply hereinafter], which invokes a sense of beauty through visual perception;
2. The term "font" means a set of characters (including those in the form of numerals, punctuation marks, and symbols) made in a style with common characteristics for recording, marking, or printing;
3. The term "registered design" means a design accepted for design registration;
4. The term "design registration" means either registration of an examined design or partially-examined design;
5. The term "registration of an examined design" means that an application for design registration is registered only when the application successfully passes an examination as to whether it meets all requirements for design registration;
6. The term “registration of a partially-examined design” means that a design is registered if an application successfully passes an examination as to whether it meets only some of the requirements for design registration;
7. The term "working of a design" means producing, using, assigning, renting, exporting, or importing an article that involves a design, or offering to assign or rent such article (including displaying an article for assigning or renting; the same shall apply hereinafter).